Re: Graphic video

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Pappalardo" <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com>
To: "Jeremy Mixer" <mixer@zoso.net>;
<boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: Graphic video

>would we have had the pictures of the
> Hindenburg disaster?

I would have shown the Hindenburg tape.  Not showing the tape would have
been like not showing the pictures of the planes hitting the towers.

> And what about that famous picture of the Vietnamese general executing the
> 'spy'.   Should we not have shown that?

I would have shown these pictures as well.  This illustrated an act of an
American allie in a war we were fighting.  There was a good reason to show
the photo.

A few years ago a major Pennsylvania politician committed suicide by
shooting himself in the head at a press conference.  All the local TV
stations and the networks had tape of the incident.  I believe the universal
decision was to show the tape up to the point that he put the gun to his
head, but not to show the grisly part of the suicide.  That illustrated the
story, in a pretty chilling way, without going too far.  Fox showing still
photos of people falling from the WTC was a similar decision.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine