Re: Today's LTAR Today's LTAR

I agree with you, Joe. On LTAR we sometimes complain about short-sighted
station managements that look for instant success and don't give new formats
a chance. Seems to me that Bob has put himself into that category.

I guess the question really is how much effort it took to put the shows
together each week. I thought that the way WJIB's automation system worked,
if Bob wanted to program a certain block of time with music from a
particular category, all he had to do was tell the system to pick music from
that category for that time period. Maybe he hadn't specially coded the cuts
that fit in the pre-Beatles-oldies category. If he hadn't done that work,
he'd either have to do it or spend a lot of time picking the music each
week. I can see that that chore, though fun at the outset, could get old
pretty fast.

But promotion was essential and all there was were a few mentions on WJIB.
Bob needs to make friends with someone who writes for the Globe, the Herald,
or the CNC local papers in the suburbs. Anybody here have a connection? If
Bob were willing to give the program a second chance, could somebody promote
a newspaper article about it?

Is there a newsgroup that focuses on music from that era? That would be
another place to promote the show. Also, if Bob could strike a deal with
somebody who manages a streaming site whereby the site operator would assume
all financial responsibility for the licensing, royalties, and other fees,
maybe there would be enough interest on the Web to justify producing the
show each week..

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367