Re: ChromaKey (Was WBZ Archives)

On Friday, Mar 13, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>I would guess that the old WHDH was one the first to use
>chromakey as they were using it as early as 1963 on the local
>news.
   Locally, perhaps. But Ernie Kovacs was doing chromakey
effects back in the mid-fifties. One of the first matting
amplifiers, which produced a luminence key effect (which is
like a chromakey, only adds signals via b&w blanking [or
matting] signals) that inspired Kovacs was actually built back
in the late 'forties at WPTZ in Philadelphia, the station where
Kovacs stared out.

- - Henry Dane