Re: WODS jingles, songs-in-a-row

At 01:02 PM 1/9/02 -0500, Dave Faneuf wrote:

>Brian Anastasi wrote:
>>
>> 98.5 was for a brief time WRKO-FM and was automated.  In fact, there
>> was a
>> robot voice that said "This is ARKO, your automated robot...."  It
>> was the
>> same time that 106.7 was WBZ-FM and also had an automated voice that
>> would
>> say "have another hit from the radio station," an obvious reference
>> to the
>> drug usage of the time.
>> >

>I recall that the WBZ-FM automation was not the greatest and that they
>used to simulcast the top of the hour news from WBZ-AM,  I think the news
>would come on exactly at the top of the hour no matter what was on the
>air on BZ-FM and the lead in liner was something like "When the music
>stops, that's news"
>
>df

The automation at BZ-FM was named "Bozo" for a reason.

The programming was done via a stack of punch cards (remember those ?).
Occasionally they would get dumped over, out of order...but who cared.
Cards would regularly get stuck in the reader.  Carts would be jammed in
the players.
The automation equipment was rarely maintained.  Techs were never assigned
to do any FM work.  Transmitter reading were done by the TV guys in Needham.